It’s week 2 in the Color My World challenge (see more about that HERE)!
AND it’s the first week for a project. This week’s theme is décor and it could be purchased or made. Well, I had two of these lamps in the last house and they never really did it for me.
Sorry for the crazy grainy picture, but I’m sure you get the gist of why these weren’t my favorite. I lived with them for a while, but I wouldn’t have been to upset if they’d fallen off the truck during the move.
Alas, they made it, so I need to figure out what to do with them instead of cramming them into the attic from here until eternity.
Those lamps paired with this lampshade…
equals extra boring. I think I just nodded off thinking about it.
They needed a little **pep** and what better color to give them pep than my challenge color of YELLOW? Plus, I’m a big believer that there’s nothing that a little spray paint can’t fix. Even crazy boring lamps.
I did a primer coat, two coats of yellow spray paint and a coat of clear gloss lacquer on the lamps. Definitely BETTER, but still on the boring side.
I ran to Michaels and got 2 rolls of 1/2 in ribbon and 1 roll of 1/4 in ribbon… both in a pretty spring green.
Using hot glue, I adhered the ribbon to the top and bottom of the lampshade.
- Use the tip of the glue gun to smooth out the bead of glue so that your ribbon lies flat.
- Do small sections at a time so that the glue doesn’t dry to fast. I would do about 3-5 inches of glue, smooth it out and then place the ribbon.
Next, I measured 1/2 in above the bottom ribbon and made marks on the lampshade all the way around to prevent myself from getting to catawampus. I don’t have a great eye for straight lines.
Using the same technique as before, I glued the smaller ribbon around the lampshade.
There you have it! From boring to **bright and fun** in under 30 minutes and very little money:
*$3 for spray paint
*$3 for lacquer
*$4 for ribbon
**$10 for two lamps
Total TIME: about 25 minutes.
Next Tuesday, I’ll be doing a project around paint! Not sure what it is yet, so I guess I should get on that…